Friday, February 15, 2008

Self-cleaning clothing? Sign me up!

Man I wish I had this every time I spill coffee on myself - which is pretty much a daily occurrence.

Researchers in Australia and China led by some guy named Walid Daoud have created a nanotechnology that can be used to self-clean clothing.

They spilled red wine on protein-based clothing - wool and silk - and found clothing treated with these feisty little nanoparticles removed the stain in sunlight.

According to the release on Science Daily:

"After 20 hours of exposure to simulated sunlight, the coated fabric showed almost no signs of the red stain, whereas the untreated fabric remained deeply stained, the researchers say. The coating, which is non-toxic, can be permanently bonded to the fiber and does not alter its texture and feel, they note."

Spilled red wine and coffee? Have they been trying to simulate my life?

Here's the story link:

Nanotechnology Lends a Hand With 'Self-cleaning' Wool and Silk Fabrics

Cheers,
-SueVo

No comments: